Sunday 27 May 2007

Hello, Who have I telephoned please?

Obsession with security has taken over our lives. On Friday I received another of those bizarre promotional phone calls, this time from Orange. A couple of days before I'd had something similar from Sky TV. In fact it's happened a few times now. The telephone rings and a strongly accented voice says "Hello, is that Mr Shaw?"

"Yes, speaking"

"Hi Mr Shaw, this is XXX from YYY. Would you mind confirming your address and postcode please?"

"Why?"

"So that I can confirm your identity."

"And how do I know who you are?"

"I'm XXX from YYY."

"So you say. Would you give me your date of birth and home address please?"

"I'm sorry Mr Shaw, I'm just trying to confirm I'm speaking to the right person."

"BUT YOU'VE JUST BLOODY PHONED ME!"

I'm not a big fan of identity theft, but I can't see the threat in someone else getting my spam phone calls.

1 comment:

Jude said...

Yes I hate these people too. I've been expecting a phone call so answer the phone and it's them!!!! Am I speaking to Mrs Rainbow, yes I reply. Oh I'm ringing because you've won a competition. Can you confirm that you live at Yyyyy address. I answer well you must know you!ve rung me and seem to know.
I put the phone down.